Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins Continues To Make History, Porter Crushes Malignaggi, Quillin Dominates Konecny

Light Heavyweight Champion Bernard Hopkins (55-6-2-32 KOs) continues to win at the age of 49 in another brilliant performance. Last Saturday night he scored a split decision win over previously once beaten Beibut Shumenov (14-2-9 KOs) in which I saw as a unaminous decision for Hopkins. The scores were 116-111 twice for Hopkins and 114-113 for Shumenov. I gave Shumenov the first two rounds, round three could've gone either way, and Hopkins schooled Shumenov the rest of the way. Although Hopkins didn't get the knockout that he was looking for, he was able to score a knock down in round eleven, which was the most exciting round of the fight. Hopkins has become the oldest man to successfully defend a world title. He said that he wants to set another record, to become the undisputed world champion before turning 50 years old in January. He called out Adonis Stevenson (23-0-1-20 KOs) and said that he would be willing to travel to Canada, Stevenson's home. After the fight, he told the reporters "I'm special". And I would have to agree with that statement. I'm starting to believe that Bernard Hopkins is truly an Alien.

Shawn "Showtime" Porter (24-0-1-15 KOs) destroyed Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi (33-6-7 KOs) scoring a fourth round TKO. Malignaggi didn't have any 'magic' to use against the pitbull Porter who overwhelmed him from round one. Malignaggi showed tons of heart but he was badly hurt in round two and Porter continued the slaughter in round three and it all came to an end in round four after Malignaggi was dropped. He got back up to take another barrage of punches from Porter and was dropped again and the referee had seen enough and stopped the fight. Being a Paulie fan, it was sad to see him go out like that but he has a great future ahead of him in commentating. He is one of the best.

Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (31-0-20 KOs) dominated the game Lukas Konecny (50-5-23 KOs) over twelve rounds to score a unanimous decision. Scores were 120-108 and 119-109 twice. Quillin consistently outworked Konecny in his third title defense. Quillin said that in his next fight, he would like the winner of Miguel Cotto (38-4-31 KOs) vs. Sergio Martinez (51-2-2-28 KOs) which is coming up on June 7, 2014 at the Madison Square Gardens in New York.

Views: 182

Comment

You need to be a member of BoxingSocialist.com to add comments!

Join BoxingSocialist.com

Comment by Lamont Joseph on April 22, 2014 at 9:43am
Good read.
Comment by one... on April 22, 2014 at 5:26am

B Hop hasn't beat a decent fighter since Kelly Pavlik in 2008. That was 6 years ago! I'm not giving Pascal any credit. Tavoris Cloud had potential but not really. Check his weak resume going back 10 fights. I'm not down with the B Hop the alien circus act! It took him long enough to do away with the stupid executioner mask. The main thing that bothers me about him is that he's a 6'1 light heavyweight calling out Floyd who's 5'8 and can barely make 150. That makes no sense to me when Andre Ward is right there standing 6'0 and 168lbs. They could meet at 171 done deal. But instead he's talking about meeting Floyd at 160. Really B Hop? If Floyd fought Canelo then Hopkins can fight Ward! He said he wants Stevenson next. I'll give him credit for that. But to me he's been skating through the sport beating subpar opponents for the past 6 years. All in all you wrote a good piece. I'm just not giving Bernard credit for getting wins over the weak fighters.

© 2014   Created by BoxingSocialist.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SideBar --> d3e4a54c-38ae-49e5-ab78dc52b052c6a6